Monday, May 02, 2011

My American feelings

I'm  glad Osama bin Laden is dead.  I'm not thrilled, not at all.  I have been of the opinion for years that he's just a symbol, and not of much strategic importance.  Still, symbolism reverberates a lot in geopolitics.  My very very very cynical reaction is that the bright side is that no one's going to torture him in my name.

I'd have been disappointed if he hadn't been captured or killed, to be sure.  It's something the US military put a high priority on, and they ought to be able to do the things they set out to.

Anyway, on to the speculation.  (It would be irresponsible not to)

In Obama's speech last night, I heard hints that the absurd security theater we've been enduring could be stepped up.  I'm very concerned that Pakistan will be shown to have been harboring him on purpose.  If that's the case, I don't expect to see Af-Pak wind down any time soon.  Actually, even if Pakistan is clean, I don't expect it to.  A lot of people are concerned about Al Qaeda retaliating, but I think they used up their best idea in 2001.  They will continue to be dangerous for at least a decade I'm sure, and do something awful but small in scale pretty soon.  

No comments: