Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Speedy trials please. Without torture!

Via TNC and a few other places (originally Glenn Greenwald), we learn that Bradley Manning, the Army Private accused of leaking the war documents to Wikileaks has been detained for seven months in truly inhuman conditions (23-hour/day solitary confinement with a few of the "luxuries" normally provided prisoners withheld, like a pillow or sheets) - before he's even been convicted.  My personal and irrelevant opinion is that he probably leaked the leak, but regardless, we shouldn't even be treating convicts this way.  The US government's embarrassment and desire for revenge about Wikileaks makes me really concerned about a railroading.

Speaking of railroading, I've heard that Julian Assange has been subjected to similar treatment while he awaits trial for a (Ed: I removed the word "much right here because I hadn't done my due diligence and actually read the link.)  lesser crime, and what. the. fuck.  I don't really want to get into the whole sex crimes are prosecuted when it's convenient thing, so check out Amanda Marcotte's post about it.

No comments: