Thursday, March 12, 2009

Yes, it really is just a different color




This is a picture from the display window of our downtown computer store, Cactus Computer. I don't know if it's still laid out this way, but I thought it was really interesting.
That's a little netbook, and the sign says "Yes, I really am a working computer and I really am pink!"

Hear that, ladies? We really can have it all: style, function, comfort, and pricepoint.

I thought that was interesting in light of clunky efforts to market consumer electronics to women, and prevalent attitudes about technology abhorring traditionally-feminine culture.

The double bind doesn't just apply to actual women, but to the items they use as well. Glue a rhinestone to that iPhone, and it's a piece of junk. Pretty and Smart aren't the same girl, or even friends, and Pretty has a different laptop than Smart does.

No comments: