Saturday, March 14, 2009

How embarassing

I saw chief Justice John Roberts speak yesterday at the Bellwood lecture right here in my very own hometown! I was a little starstruck, obviously. The speech he gave bored even me. I kept waiting for the introduction to be over, and then he finished up. It was all about Abraham Lincoln. I could pick up a book about Abe without standing in line for 30 minutes in shoes I've not worn enough to break in.

There was a Q & A session at the end of the speech, and to the audience's palpable horror, a "birther" got ahold of the mic and accosted Justice Roberts about "Barack Hussein Obama['s]" citizenship. She got a laugh from the audience when she actually stated what her deal was, and Roberts deflected politely. Her "question" included an account of how she'd flown thousands of miles to come to Moscow to see his speech. Once her game was apparent, I was a little angry that she probably figured that we amateurs in Idaho are sympathetic to her wingnuttery, and couldn't manage to keep her quiet. I mean, if you're going to get on a plane and hound this guy, why not just fly to DC?

No comments: