Monday, March 02, 2009

...and look good doing it

Via Jezebel, Stiletto Spy School (a short workshop in the sexy arts and various other ways to make yourself seem like a Bond Girl) seems like the most objectifying thing on the planet. "As long as my attacker has a broken ankle and doesn't wear eyeglasses, I can disarm him with my stiletto heel. Leave the years of martial arts training to ugly girls who can afford to spend time on creating a robust, functional skill that doesn't necessarily arouse men."

It makes me think of the Neal Stephenson bit:
“until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world.”


Unfortunately, I think the female equivalent of this is, "under the right circumstances, I could exercise a bunch and go to a great salon and be a stone-cold hottie."
But then, you sit down and watch an episode of Made and you realize that a lifetime of training really does take a lifetime. A training montage doesn't really capture the whole experience.

No comments: