Thursday, January 22, 2009

Be careful what you wish for

Readers of BoingBoing are really threatened by the idea of not owning their books, but having access to the information in them through, say, the internet. People keep asking "But what if the power goes out and someone wants to censor stuff?" Well, if the power goes out, we're kind of boned anyway, people. You'd like to read your book after 4:30 pm in February? Too bad, no light.

What I'm really concerned about is this:



I don't often make jokes on this blog, so I should explain that I don't think it's completely paranoid to believe that centralizing all media would be dangerous, but there are a lot of things we take for granted when it comes to accessing media that we already have. Oh, and I'm stealing a joke from Futurama. I couldn't find a video clip, but if you've seen the segment to which I'm referring, you'll recognize the image from it.

No comments: