Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Energy conservation in the West

I heard something on the radio the other day about the impact things like leaving lights on in rooms you're not using has on the environment, and it got me thinking about what my usage of power is causing to happen. In the Western US, most of our power is derived from salmonicidal dams, but they're there whether I leave my lights on or not. So I doubt that my conservation of energy could be translated into a number of salmon saved from a gruesome fate deep in the turbines.

Breaching dams or not is a pretty controversial subject in this area, but my feeling from what I've learned on the subject is that fish hatchery programs haven't worked, and even if we breached all the dams and tried heavy fish hatchery programs, we probably wouldn't see salmon runs return to anything but a pale shadow of their former existence. So if we don't get salmon back, what's the point of losing these green energy/economy-boosting resources?

So, who's up for a trip to the Hoover Dam?

No comments: