Friday, November 07, 2008

Blogging Anonymously

I've always felt proud that I put my full name next to my blog posts, but I kind of have a built-in dodge in that my name is so common that I could be any of a number of Sara E Andersons that live in my town or work at the institution where I do. Friends and relatives read my blog, so I'm not exactly hiding under what functionally amounts to a pseudonym. The Portly Dyke, AKA Carol Steinel, recently wrote about how covering up her real identity had been an obstacle to some good blogging, and I thought, "It's pretty nice that I never had to deal with that." I don't think I'd be able to keep up a long-term, elaborate cover for my identity, but I had a friend once, who'd known me for a year, to whom I tried to explain that I am a bad liar, and she said, "You never lie!" So I thought I must be a pretty good liar if she thinks that.

No comments: