Saturday, November 15, 2008

Bigots can't handle democracy

Let's get something straight: people across the country registering their displeasure with the passage of Proposition 8 in California are not acting against democracy. If I think that something a majority of people have voted for is unkind and unnecessary, I'm entitled to let them know, just as millions across our country did today by rallying against the passage of Prop 8. According to Bryan Fisher of the Idaho Values Alliance, this means that I "actually hate democracy," because it "keeps getting in the way of [my] radical agenda."

Puh-leaze. Accepting but protesting majority rule is about as in-line with democracy as I can imagine people acting. Fisher is free to whine about people thinking he's a creepy dinosaur, and we're free to say that he is one. As it stands, I have to let Californians keep (or possibly break) families apart, but I don't have to like it.

Sounds like democracy all around to me.

No comments: