Thursday, October 16, 2008

A template for a voice message that is actually useful

I've been playing phone tag with various people lately, and it occured to me that I am part of the problem because I leave terrible, wandering voice messages. This makes me a huge hypocrite, because I am constantly telling my family not to leave me voice mail that says, "Hi, it's me [your sister, mom, or dad], call me back!" If I don't have a specific message to leave, I hang up before the message is recorded. I thought maybe Google would be able to help me out in this situation, and I discovered this advice. The author, Jason Sherrill, gives this as an example of the perfect voice mail.
"Jason, this is John Doe at XYZ Company. It's Thursday, August 17th at 10:30 a.m. My phone number is (555) 555-1212. I need to send you an inventory export from our new database system, but I am not sure what format you'd prefer. We can export in CSV, Excel or XML format. I am leaving for a long weekend today at 4:00 p.m., so if you could call me back at (555) 555-1212 by 3:30 p.m. today, I would appreciate it. You can also email me your response at john.doe@xyzcompany.com, that's j o h n dot d o e @ x y z c o m p a n y dot com. If you get this message after 3:30 p.m. today, call my assistant Jane at the same number."
From now on, I'm going to fill in the details of what I'm trying to communicate before I pick up the phone, and use this for a script template.

No comments: