Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ooh - bad first impression

After my tentative effusing over the new mag/blog Jezebel, I see that racialicious has pointed out that the term "Jezebel" has a creepy, racist, sexist past. I didn't even think of that, which I suppose is what I get for my tiny amount of education in social sciences and history. And for that matter, I know fuck-all about the Bible.

I note that the Jezebel logo features a white woman, and know that I've only ever vaguely aware of the way the term has been racialized (though my being unaware of something is hardly an argument against its existence!). The context I've generally heard the term used in was for women who are hopelessly slutty. I suppose that this, just like bitch magazine, is an attempt at positively redefining the term - or at least playing with some of the negative connotations. If that's the case, I think that racialicious has to be right that they either don't know or don't care about the racist connotations of the term - I don't see how white women are in a position to claim the term for themselves and scrub it of its history.

You'd think they'd at least google it first.

UPDATE: More about why they chose the name.

No comments: