Sunday, May 27, 2007

Carrot, Cucumber and Snow Pea Salad with Chili Vinaigrette




When I make food that's outside the scope of the Western/European palate I'm used to, I have a hard time putting together what I would consider a whole meal - a heavy-ish main course, and a few side dishes, veggie or starch based. I'll make some peanut noodles with shrimp, and have no idea what kind of salad or veggie I'd like to serve on the side. We're having poke tacos for dinner tonight, and I decided to go with some coconut rice and finally came up with this salad as two companion dishes.

Carrot, Cucumber and Snow Pea Salad with Chili Vinaigrette

2 carots, peeled and cut into long matchsticks
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into ong matchsticks
1 1/2 cups snow peas, washed and cut into long strips
1/2 cup clover sprouts
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

1/2 cup sweet chili sauce, such as caravelle
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon tamari

Mix all vegetables and cilantro in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, combine remaining ingredients and whisk together. Adjust ingredients in dressing to taste, and pour over salad. Toss and serve.

No comments: