Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Bodies

I've been sitting around reading the wonderful Shape of a Mother, and thinking a lot about women and their bodies. I was especially moved by this, from a woman at SOAM, after the death of her second infant:
Going home with no carseat, in pre-pregnancy jeans felt unfair: I wanted something, anything, some evidence that he existed. Something other than a c-section scar that I felt ashamed of because I was forced into it. I am still coming to terms with these feelings as I await the birth of my third child. I've considered having a tattoo done of the only partial handprint the hospital offered me, so I could leave his mark on my body in a place no one but me would see unless I chose to show them.

Mamas: cherish your battle wounds, your stretch marks and bellies. They are beautiful; they are the footprints that your children have left behind as were created and nourished, and while you may have days where you want to hide them, others might be looking on at the majesty that is a mother's body and appreciating them for the art they are.
Some other good body links:

Normal Breasts Gallery (Not exactly work-safe)
JANE Guide to Breast Health (Also not exactly work-safe)
Conversation at Pandagon mostly about the JANE Guide.

No comments: