Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Apathy

In case it's not clear, I haven't been all that enthusiastic about blogging lately (due probably to my computer being out of service), so I thought I'd at least seize the moment and write about some other things that really don't get me excited

Pink is for girls and blue is for boys.
Meh. It's arbitrary and meaningless, and I have a strong feeling that people who make a big fuss about hating pink are more buying into devaluing women than they are raging against restrictive gender norms.

Childbearing as the ultimate expression of womanhood.
Well, yeah, it kind of is. If there's anything that's womanly, it's having a baby. It's certainly not manly or girlish. There's nothing wrong with not reaching maximal womanliness - it's really just an expression of your physicality, after all. It's by the things that all people do to express their humanity - loving, learning, teaching, etc. - that we should be measured, not by competing for the title of Most Gendered Person Ever.

Cell phones. This one almost crosses through to antipathy, since even though I don't think of cell phones as a modern inconvenience, I do think of listening to people complain about them as one. I don't mind hearing people talk around me. For people who do, you'd think they'd be glad to only have to hear one end of the conversation.

The "problem solved" t-shirt. I think it's about as harmful as that Planned Parenthood cartoon that depicted a superhero blowing up a group of harassing abortion protesters. It's not a proposal, it's a silly exaggeration.

No comments: