Saturday, September 02, 2006

Saturday Food Blogging: Bok Choy Salad

Lately, I've had the magic touch with all things electronic. I pulled the pin out of the AC jack in my laptop, thus rendering it useless. My video camera's editing and download software is nowhere to be found, thus making it difficult to download anything onto my new-old (thanks, Kyle!) laptop. (Sony, in its brilliance, will only sell me the crappy software for $60, instead of letting me download it for free like a company that serves human beings would.)

It's a shame because until I get the software, I've created about $1000 in doorstops over the past couple of weeks.

It's also a shame because this is a gorgeous salad and if I could get the pictures from my camera to my computer, this post would be a lot more compelling. After all, it's hard to draw people in with something that is, essentially, two-cabbage salad. Stay with me, though, because you won't be disappointed. This recipe comes from the Moscow Food Co-op deli, and after "kale slaw," is its most popular item. I've eaten it for lunch every day this week and am not yet sick of it.

Imagine, if you will, the dark leafy greens from the bok choy, mixed in with diced bright red bell pepper and shredded purple cabbage. If you can't conjure up a lovely mental picture of this, then you'll just have to make it yourself. If you're at all cabbage-phobic, you may be comforted by the fact that the dressing mellows the cabbagey-ness of the cabbage.

Moscow Co-op Bok Choy Salad
1/2 cup raw almonds
1 head bok choy, chopped
1 cup red cabbage, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped

Dressing:
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup tamari
1/4 cup brown sugar

Toast almonds on cookie sheet in 350 degree oven for 5-8 minutes. Meanwhile, combine ingredients for dressing in large bowl and whisk until brown sugar dissolves. Combine all prepared ingredients in a bowl, toss, and serve.

No comments: