Sunday, May 07, 2006

They're wackos, but they're important wackos. For now.

Jill at Feministe has a long post about today's NYT piece about the opponents of birth control. What I think is the most important thing to remember here is what Jill says:
I’ve gotta say, I’m thrilled to see anti-choice groups finally having their true views exposed in the mainstream media. While abortion may be a contentious issue among the general public, contraception isn’t. Only the most extreme anti-choicers are opposed to it (and when I say “opposed” I don’t mean “personally don’t want to use it themselves” — I mean “want to disallow everyone else from using it”), but unfortunately the most extreme anti-choicers are the ones running the supposedly “mainstream” pro-life organizations. And, apparently, the ones being selected by this administration to head the F.D.A.’s Reproductive Health Drugs Advisory Committee.
I don't for a second believe that any significant proportion of the population is opposed to the use of birth control by people who wish to. It's not the number of people who are opposed to birth control that's the problem here - it's their influence. This is the deal with the devil the GOP made by cozying up to its wingnut fundamentalist element, and it got them five years or so of strong support. What it won't get them is re-elected.

No comments: