Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Totally acceptable

I caught a little snarky exchange on feministing recently that I thought was interesting. The subject matter was breast implants.
I'm not sure where Feministing.com stands on this issue. Are they for women getting implants or not?

Posted by: Tom | April 10, 2006 09:43 PM

I'm not sure how you can really be "for" or "against" women getting breast implants. I think it's insanely fucked up that women are taught to hate their bodies so much that they feel the need to cut their breasts open and shove foreign objects in them. But that's not my choice...I think there are more important things than bashing other women for their choices (no matter how misguided I think they may be.) Hope that answers your question. But I just speak for myself, not all of feministing.

Posted by: Jessica | April 10, 2006 09:57 PM

I think it's insanely fucked up that women (and men) are taught to value their own selfish needs to the point that they would allow the fruit of their loins to be cut out of a womens wombs and tossed in the garbage. But that's just me, Who am I to judge anyone elses actions, right? I think there's other things more important than bashing women for their choices no matter how misguided I think they may be. I don't represent anyone but myself.

Posted by: Tom | April 10, 2006 10:30 PM

How lovely. Because clearly plastic surgery and abortion are so similar.

Posted by: Jessica | April 10, 2006 10:36 PM
Departing from Jessica's opinion here, I think that the outlook Tom is displaying here is perfectly acceptable. He might think it's selfish for a woman to choose not to carry a pregnancy to term, but I don't really care what he thinks. The right to choose is not the right to make everyone respect your decision, and that's fine by me. Not everyone has to like me, and not everyone has to like what I do. All I'm asking for is that my autonomy be respected, and if that's all Tom is willing to give at the voting booth, that's fine by me.

No comments: