Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Feminist Treason

I recently came across a great blog, Bad Feminist. The eponymous and anonymous author has an independent and interesting voice, and another one of my favorite qualities in a blogger: she's a frequent updater.

Still, I am not really sure how many feminists would describe her as "bad," and find myself a little irritated with the contrarian schtick. I disagree with other self-described feminists on occasion, but no one's taken away my feminist badge, and I'm not about to give it up. I agree that a lot of feminists repeat misguided dogma at the expense of the general reputation of feminism, or that there are a lot who erroneously try to tack feminist principles on their favorite issues, but I would be inclined to believe that they're the ones doing harm to feminism, not me. Pushing the contrarian line seems like a bad idea when you really agree with 90% of what any other given feminist believes.

I'm not about to apply for Canadian citizenship because Bush was elected and re-elected. First of all, I don't think this country is a lost cause. Secondly, there is no way that I'm going to subtract my vote for sanity (because we all know my opinions are objectively correct) and leave nukes in the hands of the people who have gotten us into this mess to begin with. Do I call myself (sarcastically or not) a Bad American? Certainly not.

I'm just not ready to give feminism up to the feminists who drive me nuts 10% of the time. The stake are too high, and I don't want that 10% to become 50% or 100%.

Of course, maybe like Susan Woods or Christine Tood Whitman, BF feels that her energy spent on the inside is wasted, and that any other approach than talking at people who won't listen would be less frustrating. There's also the possibility that I have no idea what I'm talking about - I realize my ESP powers are very limited. Regardless, I find myself agreeing with 90% of what a self-professed bad feminist says. Since the percentages of "good feminist" and "bad feminist" things I agree with add up to far more than 100%, I think there's a fair amount of overlap that's being too easily dismissed here. Little differences aside, check out how Bad Feminist puts her finger on why I never got very excited about Wonkette.

No comments: