Thursday, February 09, 2006

Carnival of the Carnivals

Two great blog carnivals opened up this week, the Big Fat Carnival and the 8th Carnival of the Feminists. I haven't had a chance to check it out much (I've actually been too sick to blog, which is pretty patehtic), but the Radical Women of Color Carnival looks really promising, too.

Fat is a subject far too near but not very dear to my heart, and I wanted to point out a few of my favorites from the Carnival.

Body impolitic writes about the new secular sin: eating.
The world we live in seems to treat food very much like the Puritans treated sex: an obsessively present temptation which is simultaneously sinful and irresistible. Eating high-calorie food is the only thing that contemporary secular Americans call sinful.
Ampersand hits the same note with the post "Fatness and Moral Panic."

And, you can stop worrying, because Wendy at Pound is really Tyra Banks in a fat suit. Phew, that was close. I almost had respect for a fat person!

No comments: