Tuesday, December 13, 2005

If only women had viewing windows built into their abdomens

Since about the age of fourteen, if I ever complain to someone older than me that I am tired or nauseous, or happen to darken the doorway of a health clinic with a sore throat or cough, I have been accused of being pregnant. I can't count the number of times that I've been tested for pregnancy, but I know it's many more times than I've thought I was actually pregnant. "Accused" is the word I use because I feel like I have to defend myself, maybe offer evidence to show that I am not pregnant, or let someone in on exactly how my sex life is going lately. I don't know why anyone feels entitled to speculate about my fecundity, and I don't think I should have to tell someone that I just finished my period, so unless my biology is significantly different than that of other human females, I am not pregnant. I can't help but think that this is another symptom of a society that feels that the reproductive status of any female is communal information, and is to be communally influenced.

If I'm going to have a baby, you'll be able to figure it out soon enough. Please leave the rest to me.

No comments: